Subject: AllocConsole in inetd [Was: Re: tcgetattr problem [Was Re: 1.3.22: bug report]]
From: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
To: Egor Duda <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:36:09 -0400

At 04:29 PM 4/16/2003 +0400, Egor Duda wrote:
>Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>> While we (well, you) are at it, inetd.c calls AllocConsole, which can cause
>> an extra window to appear. Is it needed? When I remove that call everything
>> still looks OK  
>
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-03/msg00764.html

Thanks for the pointer, Egor.

Here is the feedback I promised to Corinna:

Without the AllocConsole in inetd.c, Windows programs such as net, ping
and route run fine while being logged in on Win95/ME, and inetd does not 
open an extra window. So that call should be removed.

On the other hand, "net" doesn't work on Win2000 under ssh when sshd is
launched directly by cygrunsrv (and not through inetd). If this is
confirmed, perhaps an AllocConsole should be added there.

Pierre

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/