Subject: Problems running telnetd
From: "Jon Beniston" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:08:37 +0100

Hi all,

I'm seeing the following problem when trying to run telnetd. If I start
it from the command line with:

cd /usr/sbin
./in.telnetd

I get:

./in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket

I'm using cygwin 1.3.22-1, inetutils 1.3.2-2 and Windows XP.

However, it appears to run if I do:

./in.telnetd -debug

And I'm able to telnet in. However..

When I try to start telnetd with xinetd and then try telnetting. I get:

03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {main_loop} select returned 1
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {server_start} Starting service telnet
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {main_loop} active_services = 13
03/4/10@15:43:40: ERROR: {set_credentials} setuid failed: Permission
denied (errno = 13)
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {main_loop} active_services = 13
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {main_loop} select returned 1
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {check_pipe} Got signal 20 (Child status
changed)
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {child_exit} waitpid returned = 5592
03/4/10@15:43:40: DEBUG: {server_end} telnet server 5592 exited

I also have a problem on another machine whereby I can get telnetd
running, but no username/password appears to work. Aggh. I've been
looking through the mailing list archive and there seem to be many
people who have had the same problem, but there doesn't seem to be a
definitive answer. (For example, some people say that telnetd has to be
run using inetd and not from a shell, but for me it's the other way
round). I still have a few things to try, but was wondering if someone
has assembled a list of problems / issues etc?

Cheers,
JonB

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/