Subject: ld.exe crashes when I build wxWindows under cygwin
From: Feng Xian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 09 Apr 2003 11:59:41 -0400

I am trying to build wxWindows under cygwin. both cygwin and wxWindows
are latest version(I download them a couple days ago).  the compiling
stage seems ok. but I have trouble when the DLL is built.

anybody know what's going on here or has the similar experence like me?
BTW, I also have trouble to build wxWindows by using X11. the code could
be built  (with some modification on Makefiles) but crashed at runtime.

the configure of wxWindows is like this

$ configure  --with-msw

the error happened when link the DLL, command line and output like
following, (and also the dump file of ld.exe)

$ cd  ~/wxmsw/wxWindows-2.4.0
$ make
c++ -shared -Wl,--out-implib,lib/wxmsw240.dll.a -o lib/wxmsw240.dll 
accel.=
o app.o bitmap.o bmpbuttn.o brush.o button.o caret.o checkbox.o
checklst.o =
choice.o clipbrd.o colordlg.o colour.o combobox.o control.o curico.o
cursor=
.o data.o dc.o dcclient.o dcmemory.o dcprint.o dcscreen.o dde.o dialog.o
di=
alup.o dib.o dibutils.o dir.o dirdlg.o dragimag.o enhmeta.o evtloop.o
fdrep=
dlg.o filedlg.o font.o fontdlg.o fontenum.o fontutil.o frame.o gauge95.o
gd=
iimage.o gdiobj.o glcanvas.o gsocket.o gsockmsw.o helpbest.o helpchm.o
help=
win.o icon.o imaglist.o iniconf.o joystick.o listbox.o listctrl.o main.o
md=
i.o menu.o menuitem.o metafile.o mimetype.o minifram.o msgdlg.o mslu.o
nati=
vdlg.o notebook.o ownerdrw.o palette.o pen.o penwin.o popupwin.o
printdlg.o=
 printwin.o radiobox.o radiobut.o regconf.o region.o registry.o
scrolbar.o =
settings.o slider95.o snglinst.o spinbutt.o spinctrl.o statbmp.o
statbox.o =
statbr95.o statline.o stattext.o tabctrl.o taskbar.o tbar95.o textctrl.o
tg=
lbtn.o thread.o timer.o tooltip.o toplevel.o treectrl.o utils.o
utilsexc.o =
volume.o wave.o window.o appcmn.o artprov.o artstd.o choiccmn.o
clipcmn.o c=
lntdata.o cmdline.o cmdproc.o cmndata.o config.o containr.o cshelp.o
ctrlcm=
n.o ctrlsub.o datetime.o datstrm.o db.o dbgrid.o dbtable.o dcbase.o
dircmn.=
o dlgcmn.o dndcmn.o dobjcmn.o docmdi.o docview.o dseldlg.o dynarray.o
dynli=
b.o dynload.o effects.o encconv.o event.o extended.o fddlgcmn.o ffile.o
fil=
e.o fileconf.o filefn.o filename.o filesys.o fontcmn.o fontmap.o
framecmn.o=
 fs_inet.o fs_mem.o fs_zip.o ftp.o gaugecmn.o gdicmn.o geometry.o
gifdecod.=
o hash.o hashmap.o helpbase.o http.o iconbndl.o imagall.o imagbmp.o
image.o=
 imagfill.o imaggif.o imagiff.o imagjpeg.o imagpcx.o imagpng.o imagpnm.o
im=
agtiff.o imagxpm.o intl.o ipcbase.o layout.o lboxcmn.o list.o log.o
longlon=
g.o matrix.o memory.o menucmn.o mimecmn.o module.o msgout.o mstream.o
nbkba=
se.o object.o odbc.o paper.o popupcmn.o prntbase.o process.o protocol.o
qua=
ntize.o radiocmn.o regex.o resource.o sckaddr.o sckfile.o sckipc.o
sckstrm.=
o settcmn.o sizer.o socket.o statbar.o strconv.o stream.o string.o
sysopt.o=
 tbarbase.o textbuf.o textcmn.o textfile.o timercmn.o tokenzr.o
toplvcmn.o =
treebase.o txtstrm.o unzip.o url.o utilscmn.o valgen.o validate.o
valtext.o=
 variant.o wfstream.o wincmn.o wxchar.o wxexpr.o xpmdecod.o zipstrm.o
zstre=
am.o busyinfo.o calctrl.o choicdgg.o dcbuffer.o dcpsg.o dirctrlg.o
dragimgg=
.o grid.o gridctrl.o gridsel.o laywin.o logg.o numdlgg.o panelg.o
progdlgg.=
o prop.o propform.o proplist.o sashwin.o scrlwing.o spinctlg.o splash.o
spl=
itter.o statusbr.o tbarsmpl.o textdlgg.o tipdlg.o tipwin.o treectlg.o
treel=
ay.o wizard.o helpctrl.o helpdata.o helpfrm.o htmlcell.o htmlfilt.o
htmlpar=
s.o htmltag.o htmlwin.o htmprint.o m_dflist.o m_fonts.o m_hline.o
m_image.o=
 m_layout.o m_links.o m_list.o m_pre.o m_style.o m_tables.o winpars.o
autom=
tn.o dataobj.o dropsrc.o droptgt.o oleutils.o uuid.o
-Wl,--version-script,.=
/version-script -lpng -ljpeg -ltiff -lz -lrpcrt4 -loleaut32 -lole32
-luuid =
-lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lctl3d32 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32
-lke=
rnel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32=20
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
Creating library file: lib/wxmsw240.dll.a
make: *** [lib/wxmsw240.dll] Error 1

$ cat ld.exe.stackdump=20
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=3D00436191
eax=3D00000008 ebx=3D00000000 ecx=3D00000007 edx=3D00000000
esi=3D0042FDAA =
edi=3D0043611E
ebp=3D0022FDA8 esp=3D0022FD90 program=3DC:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
cs=3D001B ds=3D0023 es=3D0023 fs=3D0038 gs=3D0000 ss=3D0023
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
0022FDA8  00436191  (0042FDA9, 00000000, 00001604, 00000000)
0022FE08  0043336E  (0D847E94, 0D486BE0, 00000006, 00434DDB)
0022FE48  0043441E  (0D484ED8, 0A010BD0, 0022FE68, 00423F38)
0022FE58  0042A2D0  (00000000, 0041F3E7, 0022FE98, 0041BA32)
0022FE68  00423F38  (0A0103D8, 0A010428, 00000000, 1042410E)
0022FE98  0041BA32  (0A01D2C8, 616850A4, 00000000, 000C5CD0)
0022FEE0  0041EEBC  (0000014E, 616850A4, 0A010278, 00000000)
0022FF30  61005B8E  (00000014, FFFFFFFE, 0000003C, 610C28D0)
0022FF90  61005E2C  (00000000, 00000000, 80430D77, 00000000)
0022FFB0  00497B62  (0041E910, 037F0009, 0022FFF0, 77E97D08)
0022FFC0  0040103C  (00000000, 0241F918, 7FFDF000, 61116B48)
0022FFF0  77E97D08  (00401000, 00000000, 000000C8, 00000100)
End of stack trace

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/