Subject: Re: bug with setup.exe: saw tetex-beta even though I did not select prev
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:57:35 +0200

Igor Pechtchanski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could you require that the older packages be uninstalled before installing
> the newer tetex-base and tetex-bin?

Setup does not have a `conflicts:' afaik, but I don't see how that
should help?  The new packages should get installed automagically
through the new `requires:' fields for the old packages.

It looks like packages were deselected, or something went wrong with
the dependencies; I think that when there's a typo in the `requires:',
subsequent dependencies do not get istalled.

> How many people are likely to still be keeping (and actively using)
> the older releases of tetex-beta from (more than) a year ago?  And
> how many of those are likely to want to upgrade now?

Yes; combined with the confusion of all the tetex packages in the
global namespace, I'd like to drop all old (over 1 year old) stuff.

> I realize that mucking with /etc/setup/installed.db outside of setup.exe
> is dangerous and undesirable.

Yes.

> It's probably better to just use the above
> script to check that the older packages were in fact uninstalled.

I don't think that's really necessary; all old packages have `new'
versions that are empty, so should effectively do an uninstall.

Jan.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/