Subject: Re: setup.exe final pre-release..
From: "Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]>
To: "Alan Dobkin" <[email-masked]>, "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:22:51 +0100

Alan Dobkin wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
>> you should use apache or IIS to serve out the mirror and add
>> it to your mirror selection creen in the custom URL field.
>>
>> Then, setup won't check the md5's of every package.
>
> This seems like an overly complex workaround just to preserve
> the existing functionality.

Horribly over-complex.

> And, it has the side effect of
> creating another cache on each client system and re-downloading
> each package before it is installed.

Yes, bad!

> This negates one of the
> main reasons why I set up the local mirror in the first place,
> i.e. so I could maintain a single repository on a local server
> and avoid having a bunch of local caches on each installation.
>
>> The reason setup checks all the md5's is to ensure that what
>> it's discovered in the cache hasn't been corrupted.
>
> That makes sense, but then there should be a way to bypass
> this check so it doesn't happen every time.  Perhaps something
> like a dirty/clean flag that filesystems use to prevent having
> to do a fsck/chkdsk every time it's mounted.  Setup could set
> this flag in its cache to dirty every time it does a download
> and then set it to clean every time the full MD5 scan is done.

I would consider a simple post-download check to be sufficient. If files are
being corrupted on a local drive, then the user has bigger problems than
Cygwin not working properly.

>> There was another thread on this in cygwin-apps. Max
>> considers it a release blocker, I don't. Accordingly,
>> I said I was happy to consider patches....

Yep, and I've just re-awakened this discussion over on cygwin-apps :-)

Max.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/