Subject: Re: setup.exe final pre-release..
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Dobkin <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Apr 2003 08:06:59 +1000

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 07:48, Alan Dobkin wrote:

> I do see the status bar and it does update fine as long as I leave 
> the setup window in the foreground.  However, as soon as I click on 
> another window to let it process in the background, that's when the 
> behavior I described occurs.  I have tested this on several different 
> computers, including a mixture of Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Ok, I'll add this as a bug to be addressed. THank you.

> > > My question is this:  Why is it necessary to scan every package 
> > > in the mirror every time setup is run against a local mirror?  
> > > Most of the time, I am only installing a single package or a 
> > > few updates.  It seems that setup should only check the packages 
> > > being installed, and the rest of them should be ignored.
> > 
> > How do you create / maintain that local mirror. Via setup, or via 
> > an external script of some sort?
> 
> Using wget, as recommended from the Cygwin web site.  I've been 
> doing this the same way for at least a year, and it has worked 
> fine for all previous setup releases.

And it works for this one too. It's also clearly noted that cygwins
local package directory is subject to change without notice - you should
use apache or IIS to serve out the mirror and add it to your mirror
selection creen in the custom URL field.

Then, setup won't check the md5's of every package.

The reason setup checks all the md5's is to ensure that what it's
discovered in the cache hasn't been corrupted.

There was another thread on this in cygwin-apps. Max considers it a
release blocker, I don't. Accordingly, I said I was happy to consider
patches....

Rob

-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.