Subject: Re: bug with setup.exe: saw tetex-beta even though I did not select prev
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:46:35 +0200

Robert Collins <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thi is by design. We have a single namespace for all packages, even if
> they don't have [curr] elements. In fact prev only elements get
> promoted to curr.

Ah, I didn't know that.  That's unfortunate, in this case.  The old
tetex-beta and texmf* packages were removed from the archive.  Dummy
`upgrade-helper' packages with newer versions were added, that depend
on the new tetex packages.

> You should still have recieved consistent packages, what didn't get
> installed?

Probably the texmf tree.  Tetex consists of 7 packages.  The fact
obsolete packages (named tetex-beta and texmf*) are also listed, may
add to the confusion; the user probably sees 11 tex-related packages.

From the [curr] release, to get a working tex installation, you need
tetex-bin, and one of tetex-tiny or tetex-base.  You can do that by
selecting one of tetex, tetex-tiny, or tetex-base.  If you select
tetex-bin, you only get the tex binaries, so that you may combine that
with an already installed texmf tree (read: miktex/texlive).

The upgrade-helpers have been around for over a year.  Maybe we should
simply remove them?

Jan.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/