Subject: Re: Cannot install Cygwin
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 16:34:24 +0100

> ... but the minute I try to click on All, the screen
> freezes and no longer responds to anything ...

From your description, it is possible that nothing has frozen: it's just
that this step takes, or can take, a very long time.

If you want the default (Base) installation, you needn't click on anything
except the "Next" button, with everything in the selection window shown as
Default.

If you want a complete installation, click *once* on the selector between
the words All and Default, and then be prepared to wait *quite*a*long*time*
(up to a minute? Depends on your machine spec) for all occurrences of the
word Default to change to Install. Then click "Next". Sit back as Cygwin
installs itself.

I do not understand the reason for this long pause, but it seems to be a
necessary consequence of going for a complete installation rather than the
base installation. Whatever you do after clicking the selector, (i) do not
click it a 2nd time (because it looks as though nothing is happening) and
(ii) be patient (because, actually, something is).

Hope this helps.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/