Subject: Re: cygwin license
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:44:49 +0300

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:55:09 -0500, Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I've forwarded this request to our sales organization.
> 
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:37:21AM +0400, Dmitri Dmitrienko wrote:
> >Hello people developing Cygwin.
> >
> >I'm deeply impressed with all things you made with GNU tools when ported
> >them into Win32 platform.
> >We're interested in including some certain tools with our own commercial
> >software.
> >We consider two possible ways:
> >a) shipping your tools as a separated package that would be shipped
> >separately with our own installer.
> >b) including your software into existing package.
> >Mainly we're interested in ssh client, sshd daemon and all libraries that
> >would allow them to run including cygwin dll itself.
> >
> >Please advice if it is possible and what conditions could be.

I'm intending to do a similar thing - to make a CD with some Cygwin
programs and libraries and some other (proprietary) programs NOT linked
to the Cygwin libraries. The sources for all the Cygwin programs and
libraries will be on the same CD.

I thought that this satisfy the GPL and I don't have to have a
license from Red Hat. Please confirm or correct me.

Ehud.

Appendix - detailed description of the software distributed
- -----------------------------------------------------------

This distribution is of the SSH client. Only the following executable
are needed: ssh.exe cygwin1.dll cygz.dll cygcrypto-0.9.7.dll.
If rxvt window is preferred (easier support for Hebrew font and other
niceties) then rxvt.exe and libW11.dll are also needed. NO registry
setting or special directories (like /tmp or /etc) are needed.

On the CD I put the following sources: cygwin-1.3.22-1-src.tar.bz2
openssh-3.6.1p1-1-src.tar.bz2 openssl-0.9.7a-3-src.tar.bz2
rxvt-2.7.10-2-src.tar.bz2 zlib-1.1.4-1-src.tar.bz2 .

The running batch file is:

c:
set PATH=c:\tty\cygwin\bin
set HOME=/cygdrive/c/tty

cd \tty\cygwin\bin
rxvt -fn "-*-Web Hebrew Monospace-normal-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"
- -geometry 120x46+0+0 -bg "navyblue" -fg "yellow" -sl 350 -e ssh -v %1

Of course the rxvt command is on one line. There is a config file in
the $HOME/.ssh that has all the targets.

- -- 
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 Insurance agencies   (USA) voice mail and   X   Against   HTML   Mail
 http://www.mvs.co.il  FAX:  1-815-5509341  / \
 mailto:[email-masked]                  Better  Safe  Than  Sorry

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/