Subject: GCC mainline bootstrap broken for a long time
From: "Giovanni Bajo" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Giovanni Bajo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 01:51:27 +0200

Hello,

It's been a while since last time I was able to compile the GCC mainline
under cygwin (no crosscompiler). For a long period, I got an ICE very early
in stage1, today I tried again, and it actually goes a lot furhter, but
eventually crashes while compiling libstdc++. I get this:

/bin/sh ../libtool --tag CXX --mode=compile
/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out
/gcc/xgcc -shared-libgcc -B/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/gcc/ -nostdi
nc++
  -L/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/src -L/
home
/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -B/usr
/loc
al/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin/lib/ -isystem
/usr/local/i686
-pc-cygwin/include -isystem
/usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin/sys-include -nostdinc++ -I
/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include/i68
6-pc
-cygwin -I/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/i
nclu
de -I../../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++  -I../../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/
libm
ath   -O2 -g -O2 -g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates  -Wall -Wno-format -W -Wwrit
e-st
rings -Winline  -fdiagnostics-show-location=once      -fimplicit-templates -
c ..
/../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/src/demangle.cc
/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/gcc/xgcc -shared-libgcc -B/home/Adminis
trat
or/gcc/mainline/out/gcc/ -nostdinc++ -L/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/
i686
-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-c
ygwi
n/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -B/usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ -B/usr/local/i686-
pc-c
ygwin/lib/ -isystem /usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin/include -isystem
/usr/local/i686-p
c-cygwin/sys-include -nostdinc++ -I/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686
-pc-
cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include/i686-pc-cygwin -I/home/Administrator/gcc/mainlin
e/ou
t/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include -I../../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/libsupc
++ -
I../../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/libmath -O2 -g -O2 -g -O2 -fno-implicit-templa
tes
-Wall -Wno-format -W -Wwrite-strings -Winline -fdiagnostics-show-location=on
ce -
fimplicit-templates -c ../../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/src/demangle.cc -o
demangle.
o
/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include/bit
s/de
mangle.h: In instantiation of `bool
__gnu_cxx::demangler::session<Allocator>::de
code_template_args(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
Allocator>&)
[with Allocator = std::allocator<char>]':
/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include/bit
s/de
mangle.h:1670:   instantiated from `bool
__gnu_cxx::demangler::session<Allocator
>::decode_type_with_postfix(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
Allo
cator>&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, Allocator>&,
__gnu_cxx:
:demangler::qualifier_list<Allocator>*) [with Allocator =
std::allocator<char>]'

/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include/bit
s/de
mangle.h:315:   instantiated from `bool
__gnu_cxx::demangler::session<Allocator>
::decode_type(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, Allocator>&,
__gnu
_cxx::demangler::qualifier_list<Allocator>*) [with Allocator =
std::allocator<ch
ar>]'
../../../../gcc/libstdc++-v3/src/demangle.cc:162:   instantiated from here
/home/Administrator/gcc/mainline/out/i686-pc-cygwin/libstdc++-v3/include/bit
s/de
mangle.h:1186: internal compiler error: Segmentation
   fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

I have updated the whole cygwin environment just today (all stable
packages), I'm using gcc 3.2 to bootstrap:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/specs
Configured with:
/netrel/src/gcc-3.2-3/configure --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ja
va --enable-libgcj --enable-threads=posix --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --
with
out-included-gettext --enable-interpreter --disable-sjlj-exceptions --disabl
e-ve
rsion-specific-runtime-libs --enable-shared --build=i686-pc-linux --host=i68
6-pc
-cygwin --target=i686-pc-cygwin --enable-haifa --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/
usr
--sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/nonexistent/include --libe
xecd
ir=/usr/sbin
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2 20020927 (prerelease)

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround? I would like to file a
proper bug report to GNATS, once we identified correctly the problem.
BTW GCC 3.3 branch was also broken (same ICE in stage 1) last time I tried,
I will try again today.

Thanks
Giovanni Bajo

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/