Subject: Re: Allowing EASY install of thirtd party software (RE: Two GPL clarifications)
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Hannu E "K Nevalainen (garbage ""mail)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 2003 08:27:14 +1000

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 08:15, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>  If I have "analyzed" things correctly lately;
>  most of the GPL violations are done in this situation:
> 
>  1) Person "P" writes/ports some nice software using cygwin.
>  2) P picks out required parts of cygwin runtime objects
>    and builds a package that is fast and easy to install.
>  3) P puts the package on a webpage.
> 
>  Maybe the GPL-violation-warning should be accompanied with a pointer
> to an easy-to-follow instruction on the use of a custom setup.ini
> 
>  As I've had no interest in looking the subject up;
>   a) Is there such a webpage?

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html has the relevant info.
I'd be happy to have specific instructions there. IMO this isn't
relevant for the package maintainer instructions at
http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html - and there is already a link to from
there. (I quote: Setup.exe has it's own homepage
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html. If you are interested
in adding features to setup.exe, or in manually creating a setup.ini
file, you should consult the setup.exe homepage.)

>   b) Is there a nice stub for such an setup.ini file?

See the homepage.

Rob
-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.