Subject: Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation
From: Tino Lange <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:39:56 +0100

> He also said he needed to determine this from "outside the Cygwin
> environment" and I would think that cygpath is inside the Cygwin
> environment. Think about it. You're in cmd.exe and you want to tell
> where Cygwin is installed. How can you execute cygpath without knowing
> where cygpath is? The only way that would work is if Cygwin's bin path
> is already in PATH and this is not set by default when Cygwin is installed.

This is not true! There's a trick:
At least under >= Windows 2000 you can just put 'cygpath.exe' (and its
path) in your so called "ApplicationPaths".
This is a Registry location for several utils you can just call by name
- no more needed.
Have a look at your:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
When you start such an application it don't need to be in the path of
the machine.

Solution:
Just put 'cygpath.exe' in your Application path - then you're able to
use it from everywhere on your machine.
So you can find the CYGWIN root with "cygpath -w /".

You might also want to have a look at this great tool from Gergory Braun
to easily maintain your AppPaths Applications:
http://www.gregorybraun.com/AppPaths.html

Cheers,

Tino

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/