Subject: Re: xsltproc segfaults after upgrading to docbook xsl stylesheetsv1.60.1
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Elfyn McBratney <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Mar 2003 08:47:17 +1100

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 00:32, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> Robert,
> 
> I started working on this one last night. Now I know what you mean by these
> packages being a bugger to build OOTB. In the coming week I'm going to be
> testing this and release a test package for people to try, if you don't mind
> of course. :-)

I don't mind one iota. I do suggest you leverage the -src package for
the currently-on-cygwin.com packages. Strip out the autoconf generated
file patches, and you'll see what has to be forward ported. Some of the
stuff may be eligible (now) for pushing upstream, but the bulk won't be,
unless I've missed a transition to automake 1.5+ (which I *don't think)
I have.

Specific things to watch for:
* python bindings (new in the cygwin package, more stable in upstream
now).
* new exports from dynamic libraries (I check for new exports via the
win32 .dll specs, and ensure they are libtool auto-import compatible). 
* libtool API interface changes. If the interface has changed in a
backwards compatible way, when you link xsltproc, xmllint etc, you'll
link against your installed version which may not have enough symbols to
link successfully. Secondly if the interface has brokne backwards
compatability, but the libtool library identifier hasn't been bumped,
well, welcome to h**l.
* per object flags are needed to prevent duplicate or missing symbols
against libxml and the test programs in libxml.

Ask me if you get other surprises, I may have forgotten something.

> As for maintainership I volunteer, as this is a package I don't want to see
> pulled from the distribution.

Thank you. I stepped down because I realised I wasn't fulfilling my
obligations and simply didn't want to get whipped to devote time I don't
have, on someone elses schedule, not because I wanted to see the package
removed (I don't).

What I find ironic is the immediate offer to help that you recieved,
rather than abuse.

Rob

-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.