Subject: RXVT Problem with buffering of application output.
From: "Fletcher, Bob (GEAE, IT)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:48:40 -0500

A Few weeks ago ayamico at yahoo dot com posted a question about RXVT.  I
haven't seen any response and was wondering if anyone else is having/looking at
this problem.

The previous message is:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00524.html 2003-03-07, 4989 bytes

When we run some commertial, native windows applications, we don't get prompts
written to standard out until the application ends. RXVT seems to be buffering
the output.  Ayamico gave a simple example that shows the behavior:

   print ("Hello World\n");
   $str = <STDIN>;

I've been looking at stty, trying to see if a change to the terminal options
might fix it. In a cygwin window, where everything works as expected, 

in Cygwin (ie cmd.exe)
 stty -a shows 

~ > stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 25; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop -echoctl -echoke
~ >

In an rxvt.
~ > stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 25; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?;
start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop echoctl echoke
~ > 

In particular I'm wondering if the values or eol and eol2 effect the behavior of
applications under rxvt, but the modifications  I've made to eol and eol2
ahven't affected the behavior of the application above. ( I set all the option
in the stty windows to match the cmd.exe values, but nothing changed.) 

Is stty even relavent to a Cygwin window? 

Does anyone have a clue if I'm likely to be on the right track, ie is stty
relevant here. Or is the right direction into the rxvt source code?

I have 

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 CA1006 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown

Usage v2.7.2 : (XPM,menubar,.Xdefaults)
rxvt [-help]
 [-display string] [-tn string] [-geometry geometry] [-C] [-iconic] [-/+rv]
 [-/+ls] [-/+sb] [-/+sr] [-/+st] [-/+si] [-/+sk] [-/+ut] [-/+vb] [-bg color]
 [-fg color] [-pixmap file[;geom]] [-fb fontname] [-fn fontname]
 [-name string] [-title string] [-n string] [-cr color] [-pr color]
 [-bd color] [-sl number] [-mod modifier] [-e command arg ...]

I pulled an up to date copy of cygwin 13.20, and saw the same issue.

Bob.

           GE Aircraft Engines
	______________________________________________
	     Bob Fletcher
	     Analysis and Engineering Systems
	     GE Aircraft Engines, 
	     1 Neumann Way, Evendale, OH 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/