Subject: Re: cygwin setup keeps downgrading perl 5.8 -> 5.6
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Ashley Shugart <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:44:01 +0100

Hallo Ashley,

Am Samstag, 15. März 2003 um 10:05 schriebst du:

> NOTE: I am not on the list.  Please reply directly.

> Why does cygwin setup want to downgrade perl from 5.8 to 5.6?  Is this 
> intentional or accidental?   The following excerpt from

> http://archive.progeny.com/cygwin/setup.ini

> shows 5.8 is listed under a [test] section. 

[...]

> I couldn't find the web page that explained what [test] means.  With 
> this setup you have to catch cygwin each time you run setup to upgrade 
> other packages, otherwse it will do the downgrade by default.  (i.e you 
> have to select "Keep" for perl).

I'm busy right now getting a "final" version of perl-5.8 out now.
It is marked with "Test", because I wanted some feedback at first
before releasing it as a stable version.

My workaround for setup.exe's behaviour is to install perl-5.8
manually over the existing 5.6.1 installation.  Just extract the
binary package from the root path.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=