Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New release of setup.exe (2.249.2.10)
From: Markus Schönhaber <[email-masked]>
To: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:55:04 +0100

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:45:58PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 
> Thanks a lot for the report, Markus.
>

You're welcome.
Guess, your reply reached me and not the list because I forgot to set the
Reply-To: field correctly. Sorry.

> 
>>Did a fresh install at my XP-Prof box at home - moving the directories and 
>>registry keys out of th way beforehand. I just now realize, I forgot to 
>>remove the CYGWIN environment variable. Don't know if this has any 
>>influence on the installation process.
> 
> 
> Only possibly in postinstall scripts, if they do not set it. 
> 
> 
>>Seems to me that almost everything has worked fine (haven't intensively 
>>tested though). Just, when the postinstall script ran, I was able to read 
>>a message saying that the domain controller wasn't found. Seems to me, 
>>this message came from mkpasswd (is it called with the -d param in 
>>postinstall?).
> 
> 
> Sorry about that, see 
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00890.html>
> Your mirror seems to be updated slowly.

No problem.
There are some more boxes waiting to get updated (domain members /
standalone workstations). I'll do that next week. Propably then my mirror
will carry the most recent files.

> 
> 
>>Read/execute permission was set for owner and group (Users) for all files 
>>in /bin. So i guess the problem of bash not finding some executables when 
>>logged in with other credentials should be gone now. Most files seem to 
>>have no permission for "other"s.
> 
> 
> Great. Note that setup.exe respects the inherited access rights definedon 
> your system (where Everyone apparently has no access). Only the *display*
> has been improved.
> 

Exactly: No ACE for Everyone. Thanks for clearing that up.

> 
>>Since I did the installation logged in under an administrator account 
>>there wasn't any need for setup to ask wether it should run as 
>>Administrator - and it didn't ask.
> 
> 
> Too bad :(  This behavior has only been reported a few times, I'd like
> to understand it! 
> 

The way setup behaved is exactly the way I expected it to and the way I
would consider right. But you seem to consider this a problem. Obviously I
did miss the point here - maybe we are talking about different things.
It's not about the "Select Root Install Directory" dialog where you can
select to install for "All Users" or "Just Me", is it?
I just started setup under a non-privileged account and XP's mechanism to 
show the "Run as Administrator" dialog when starting a program called 
"setup.exe" or "install.exe" kicked in.
Maybe this is what you meant? If so - it worked for me.

Regards
   mks

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/