Subject: Re: cygwin-1.3.21-1, problem with sparse file creation as default
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:36:40 -0500

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:41:55PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 03:20:10PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>We've had no proof of advantages (except in one very restricted corner
>>case), and no disproof of disadvantages (i.e.  speed penalties).
>
>Running a speed test would be interesting of course, but I point to an
>advantage for most of us: with 32 bit uids the /var/log/lastlog file
>can become enormous.  Fortunately (for systems that support sparse
>files), it is sparse.

I think we'll have to come up with some other way of dealing with
/var/log/lastlog for Win 9x though, won't we?

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/