Subject: Re: cygwin archive? (previous versions for fallback)
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: günter strubinsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:40:25 -0500

Guenter,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:30:02PM -0600, günter strubinsky wrote:
> Thank you all so much for your kind help.

You are very welcome.

> Btw. I assume that I am not the only one whose data got lost and as we
> all know, backup is for newbies! The pro does not err and does not
> need backup, right? :p

No.  As the saying goes:

    There are only two types of users: Those who have lost data and
    those who will.

Anyway, you have brought this important issue to my attention --
PostgreSQL's need for pg_dump/pg_restore can be adversely affected by
Cygwin setup.exe's automatic upgrade functionality.  Unfortunately, I'm
not sure how to solve this problem.

However, Cygwin setup.exe's cache should have all previous versions
installed including PostgreSQL unless one deletes them.  Hence, the old
PostgreSQL version should still have been available for the pg_dump
phase.

Jason

-- 
PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/