Subject: Re: Finishing large file support?
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:43:43 +0100

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 03:47:59PM -0600, Brian Ford wrote:
> >From searching the archives more, it looks to me like the major hold up
> for this was newlib.  But, it appears to me that newlib now has 64 bit
> stdio support.  How is this not sufficient?

It will require some work, that's it.  The goal was to switch to 64bit
file access w/o having two sets of functions, e.g. fopen(), fopen64().
Instead, Cygwin should switch to 64bit file access at one point while
still being backward compatible.  Old apps using the 32bit functions
should still run while fresh compiled apps are using 64bit access
automatically.  This could be done by defining the stdio64 functions
as default functions for new apps - an application calling fopen() will
transparently call fopen64().

However, there's a problem here with fork().  If a 32bit application
calls a 64bit app or vice versa, the stdio structure isn't quite the
same.  Well... something to investigate.

If you really want to help, let's discuss how to proceed.  I would be
very glad to have somebody looking into this issue as well.

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer                                mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/