Subject: Re: setup.exe: something besides C++?
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 06 Mar 2003 07:08:48 +1100

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 02:32, Joe Buehler wrote:
> Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> 
> > But then, it would become _huge_. You'd have to download a bunch of other
> > software just to install Cygwin.
> 
> You would use a self-extracting executable.  It's easy enough to do with
> the info-zip software.

Riiight.
So we:
Write a perl/tk installer in using activestate perl to be installed
using a self-extracting executable to allow the installation of cygwin.

Perhaps I'm pessimistic, but I can just see huge issues with 'your
installer downgraded my activestate install' and other similar problems.

Of course, YMMV.

I'm happy to provide clarification on any of the set interfaces (i.e.
setup.bz2) for installing cygwin, should you want to tackle such a
project.

Until you've demonstrated 100% compatibility though, I suspect that
installs done via such a tool would be less likely to get the same level
of troubleshooting support as those done via the current 'setup.exe'.

Rob
-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.