Subject: Re: setup.exe: something besides C++?
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Coleman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 06 Mar 2003 07:05:31 +1100

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 02:26, Steve Coleman wrote:

> It wouldn't replace setup.exe since the initial install would still have 
> to be done but it might be a good idea to have something that could 
> check if there are updates to designated packages that are deemed 
> important to the specific Cygwin user, and notify or even just perform 
> the updates like the "Windows Update" service. 

Funnily enough, setup can do 95% of that already. It can run with
command line parameters, and update to a shared cache of files, and also
download from the same cache in preference to the internet.

Don't let that stop you though :]. Variety in choices is good, and any
mirror-side changes we make to setup will be down slowly to avoid
breaking 3rd party tools (and upset :}:}).

Rob
-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.