Subject: Re: tetex installation wierdness.
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:52:35 +0100

"Janus Nicolay Christensen" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am experiencing a problem installing the tetex LaTeX distribution
> on one machine (called dkms1301) but not the other (called test).

What windows versions are those running?

> When running the Cygwin setup program I select the following
> packages:
> * tetex
[from the log: tetex-bin is selected automatically.  good]
> * tetex-base
> * tetex-extra
> * ghostscript

> On test the installation works, but on dkms1301 some bits seem to be
> missing, including the 'latex' symlink in /usr/bin.

Can you be more explicit about 'some bits'?  The symlink is not in the
package, it should be created during postinstall, by
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh.

> Has anybody experienced this and if so, what can I do to solve it?

There were complaints before about the missing latex symlink, but I've
not managed to get a useful bugreport (that's why I'm including the
symlink in the new tetex-bin package).

There are several things you can do.  Last week, new tetex packages
were released.  You can rerun setup.exe and your problems may go away
(if you need xdvi, see
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00045.html)

If you cannot or do not want to update tetex:

  * Make sure that you have all dependencies installed:

       ash clear cygutils cygwin ed diffutils fileutils findutils gawk
       grep jpeg libkpathsea3 libncurses6 libpng12 perl sed sh-utils
       textutils termcap tiff zlib

    esp. packages from base, that were missing from the previous tetex
    release, ie:

       clear diffutils fileutils findutils gawk sh-utils textutils

  * If you're updating tetex from an earlier version, you may need to
    uninstall and then reinstall cygutils

  * Reinstall tetex-base (or run /etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh[.done])

  * If the symlink is all you're missing, you can create it by hand:

        ln -s /usr/bin/tex.exe /usr/bin/latex.exe

Greetings,
Jan.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/