Subject: Re: Setup "Download from Internet" Question
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:23:24 -0000

This works for me. I'd hate to guarantee anything, particularly if you have
a version of Cygwin running already. But I've done it more than once, and on
more than one version of Windows.

1. I think ftp, unless controlled in a not at all simple or obvious way,
will bring you the entire Cygwin resource, being [prev] and [test] as well
as [curr]. That's loads more than will fit on a CD and probably (?) more
than you want.

2. If you already have Cygwin installed, then this isn't helping if what you
want is a complete ground level download. I've found it convenient to render
Windows temporarily Cygwin-unaware by typing
    umount -A
at the Cygwin prompt, then immediately exiting. Then rename the Cygwin
directory by typing
    ren \Cygwin Othername <Enter>
at the command or cmd prompt. (I don't find it necessary to edit mentions of
Cygnus out of the Windows registry. In this context, anyway.)

3. Visit http://cygwin.com/setup.exe and choose Download. Ask to save to the
Desktop (for instance, or wherever you like). To get everything, click the
selector *once* at All Default to change to All Install. (This change might
take a moment.) There is (I think) no easy way to select all the source
files other than by x'ing all the boxes. Then away you go for a cup of tea,
or a sleep, depending on your connection. The full [curr] resource including
sources is about 580M, I think. It will all just fit really neatly onto a
CD.

4. The CD architecture needs to be the two setup files .exe and .ini located
as e:\Cyg0\setup.* and the rest as e:\Cyg0\release\*. (Locating at root e:\
fails because of a Windows shortcoming.) Then using your CD you can set up
anywhere else by running h:\Cyg0\setup.exe.

5. To recover your own local system (i.e. to make Windows Cygwin-aware
again) rename Othername back to Cygwin, then run http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
exactly as though you were checking to see whether it's time for an upgrade.
You won't need another massive download: Cygwin will correctly identify all
the local info about what's there already. At the end of setup you will find
your mounts miraculously recovered, and away you go.

Works for me. (It might not be necessary to do all the umount and ren stuff,
but I find it safe and secure and saves bother of the sort I think you were
describing.)

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/