Subject: Re: exim 4.12-3 winsock problem (was Re: 1.3.21)
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:44:52 -0500

Pierre,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:12:41AM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> While you are at it, can you enhance the educational experience
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Serves me right for idle *and* public reflections... :,)

> by looking at the starting wsock problem, using your specially
> instrumented code.  Is access to both keys above needed for a
> successful start?

No, only the winsock2 one is necessary.

> Can you also confirm that wsock starts correctly under strace even
> when there is no access to the keys above? 

Yes, winsock starts correctly (i.e., WSAStartup() succeeds) even with no
access to these keys.

Here is a table that summarizes my findings:

winsock  winsock2  WSAStartup  notes
=======  ========  ==========  =====
yes      yes       succeeds    exim: starts up
no       yes       succeeds    exim: IPv4 socket creation failed
yes      no        fails       exim: cannot find smtp/tcp service
no       no        fails       exim: cannot find smtp/tcp service
no       no        succeeds    strace exim: IPv4 socket creation failed

> Does anyone have a theory for that?

Sorry, I don't.

Jason

-- 
PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/