Subject: Re: cygwin1.dll, nontsec, and NTFS disk issue
From: Wu Yongwei <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:21:42 +0800

You are correct about file permissions, Christopher.

We all know that Windows has loose file permissions and all files are 
marked executable by default.  When CYGWIN=nontsec,

Old behaviour: when an executable is wanted, the system will check by 
extension and content, not file permissions;

New behaviour: when an executable is wanted, the system will check by 
file permissions on NTFS disks, even though nontsec is set.

As far as I understand, it seems to be an overriding issue.  For older 
cygwin versions, ntsec/nontsec overrides system support for file 
permissions; for newer versions, system support for file permissions 
makes cygwin ignore ntsec/nontsec setting when autocompleting.  That is, 
the old behaviour only occurs on FAT disks.

I think the old way is more consistent.

Hope I am clearer.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei

--- Original Message from Christopher Faylor ---

I think that the point is supposed to be that test.c must have
executable permissions even with CYGWIN=nontsec.  So hitting tab to get
what should just be a command brings in test.c, too.

I can't duplicate this behavior, of course.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/