Subject: Re: Minimum Install for Executable Distrubution
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: Thorsten Kampe <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Feb 2003 09:36:24 +0100

Thorsten Kampe <[email-masked]> writes:

> But I'm curious (and this question is often asked). Do you think 
> something from the base install could be omitted /and/ having a 
> working Cygwin install?

What is a working Cygwin install?  If you leave out a package, the
programs in that package won't be available, eg:

> [Base Packages]
> bash: The GNU Bourne Again SHell

leave out bash: you don't get bash.

> diffutils: A GNU collection of diff utilities

leave out diffutils: you don't get diff, patch.

> findutils: Utilities for finding files--find, xargs, and locate

leave out findutils: you don't get find.

Dependencies of a package are automatically selected/shown when you
[re]select to install that package.

I don't consider Cygwin without bash or find a 'working Cygwin
install', but YMMV.

Greetings,
Jan.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/