Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libtool-devel-20030216, libltdl-20030216
From: "Ralf Habacker" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:49:54 +0100

> o speed problem with the internal "win32_libid()" routine is partially
> fixed -- approx 35% speedup.  Ralf Habacker is working on some
> modifications to the official fileutils distribution (specifically,
> file.exe) that should allow an additional 8% speedup without additional
> changes to libtool.

Charles, thanks for your efforts with this libtool stuff and I have no problem
to gone with this already started work, but let me ask one question: Is the
needed effort hacking the fileutils distro justifiabled for only 8% speedup,
where you have already got 35% speedup. I'm worry about, that this speedup will
not be noticeable.

Should we not instead leave this as it is and concentrate on the way replacing
import libraries with links as much as can be, which will give much more benefit
because this case is already as fast as it could be handled by your script (x86
DLL) ?
As I stated before, I have already a libtool hack which covers mostly of the
needed stuff (a little work is necessary: integrating in recent libtool and fix
uninstall target)

What do you think ?

Ralf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/