Subject: Re: exim 4.12-3 winsock problem (was Re: 1.3.21)
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:21:23 -0500

Pierre,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:43:31PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > The above fixed the problem.  I apologize for not being able to
> > figure this out myself.
> 
> Actually I'd rather have you hit this problem than almost anybody
> else.  Figuring out what was happening without accurate strace output
> took some doing.

Thanks for your gentle treatment and kind words. :,)

> Can you invest a little more time and try to understand why wsock
> doesn't start without it (e.g. lookup how privileges are assigned on
> your system)? I'd like to detect the bad situation and log a warning. 

I tried adding a group:mail:r-x ACL to the following:

    /mnt/c
    /mnt/c/WINNT
    /mnt/c/WINNT/system32
    /mnt/c/WINNT/system32/drivers
    /mnt/c/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc
    /mnt/c/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/services
    /mnt/c/WINNT/system32/*.dll
    /mnt/c/WINNT/system32/*.DLL

but I still failed in the same way.

Any other suggestions of where to poke and prod?

> > I'm not:
> 
> So let me rephrase the question: is there a particular reason why you
> have defined an exim user (in addition to having a mail group for
> deliveries, I know that makes a lot of sense). 

Not really -- it may just be "historical".  Remember, I started with
your 4.02, upgraded to my private 4.10, upgraded to your 4.10, and now
upgraded to your 4.12.  IIRC, some doc recommended running as a user
other than root (i.e., LocalSystem).  It seems safer to do so unless
really required.

Thanks,
Jason

-- 
PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/