Subject: Re: GPL Violation
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:44:51 -0500

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:52:09PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>>> I make cygwin1.dll.bz2 available so that people can run the
>>> static binaries.
>
>> If you provide the Cygwin DLL in binary form, you must
>> provide the sources of that version as well.
>
>Would a link to the latest version, say
>ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/release/cygwin-1.3.20-1-src.tar.bz2
>suffice ?

No, it wouldn't.  Sorry but that's not how the GPL works.

>>>I'm not allowed to transfer more than 100Mb a month.
>>>cygwin-1.3.18-1-src.tar.bz2 is 4631969 bytes.  While I don't think many
>>>people would download the sources...
>
>>Sure but why not simply point to the Cygwin home page anyway and not
>>providing your own Cygwin DLL binary?  No binary, no licensing
>>problems.
>
>For user's convenience.  Why make them download the whole base system
>or the cygwin binary tarball if they may just need cygwin1.dll to run
>the static binaries ?
>
>Can't you provide a link to the latest released cygwin1.dll, what you
>do for snapshots ?

I'll have to think about this.  It's not a bad idea but given cygwin's
user base I suspect that it could lead to a lot more problems with
people who just download cygwin1.dll and then can't understand why
typing "bash" still says "command not found".

muse, muse...

Maybe I will make the DLL available but not advertise it for people like
you who just want a place to point people.  That would mean that you would
remove cygwin1.dll from your distribution and then just point people to
this "secret" location at the cygwin web site.

muse, muse...

Ok.  I'm convinced.  I will try to set something up in the next couple
of days.  I'll tell the lawyers to hold off until then.  :-)

(I'm kidding!  I'm kidding!)

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/