Subject: Re: [avail for test] libtool-devel-20030121-1
From: "Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ralf Habacker" <[email-masked]>, "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:02:17 -0000

>> ARGH.  This defeats the whole purpose of the policy change -- and it
>> is a policy change driven by the libtool development.

I've been hunting for the relevant threads on the libtool list - can't find
them. Can anyone offer URLs or search terms that would help?

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> May be, but like Max has stated, I don't like to be forced to make
> every static lib as shared lib. This would break the whole kde build
> system, because often convenience librarys are build and assembled
> together into a dll. May be, that's the reason, why on linux and
> other systems "pass_all" is used, because it overrides this police.

I think that in some cases, libtool tries to do too much. I've run into a
number of cases which would have just worked if libtool had passed the
arguments to gcc without modification, but it insists on filtering stuff in
complex ways. For example, gcc -print-search-dirs doesn't admit to searching
/usr/lib/w32api, so any attempt to link with a w32api library when
cross-compiling with -mno-cygwin (which means the Cygwin-specific hack in
libtool.m4 doesn't get activated) fails. Now, admittedly, gcc is probably
wrong in not showing all its search dirs correctly, but sometimes I wish
libtool trusted the compiler more.

Max.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/