Subject: Re: Setup 2.249.2.5, Package 'grep' 2.5-1, missing 'egrep.exe' and 'fgrep.exe'
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "G. Ken Holman" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:25:12 -0500

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:05:07PM -0500, G. Ken Holman wrote:
>I used to use one of the Cygwin B packages where the egrep.exe utility was 
>included.

Sigh.

>I'm on an XP system and I downloaded replacement packages yesterday and 
>ensured that I included the "grep" package.
>
>I went to use "egrep.exe" and found it wasn't installed.  I did find an 
>egrep.1 but it just points to grep.

egrep and fgrep are symbolic links to grep.exe.  Both work properly when
invoked from bash.  I just checked.

>p.s. http://cygwin.com/bugs.html points to http://cygwin.com/lists.html and 
>says where *not* to send bugs, but not where bugs should be sent for 
>problems like this ... I would have thought that would be a FAQ: "which 
>bugs (by example) go to which mail lists?"

The cygwin mailing list says that it is for "just about all things
cygwin" with "two exceptions".

Is grep, egrep, or fgrep listed as one of the two exceptions?

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/