Subject: Re: /usr/bin/tclsh84
From: Jonathan Larmour <[email-masked]>
To: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:17:07 +0000

Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 03:13:47AM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>>Ah another day another tclsh.
> 
> Ah, another hour, another tcl/tk whinge.

:-).

>>Even if it's only a soft link to the most recently installed tclshNN
>>(like RPM post-install scripts do for the linux kernel etc.).  I know
>>cygwin has got post-install scripts, so any reason not to?
> 
> I don't know what post-install scripts have to do with anything but I'll
> add symbolic links to everything in the cygwin tcl release if it stops
> just one of these tcl/tk complaints.

This one should be easy to stop at least :).

Well the idea is that every time a new tcl package installs it runs: "ln 
-sf tclsh84 /usr/bin/tclsh" in a postinstall stage, substituting for 
whatever tcl version it is.

Or you could include the symlink directly in the tarball^Wcygwin package 
if it can cope with that, and you never expect people to have two tcl 
versions installed at the same time causing a conflict. But I guess you 
don't since /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh also exists without version suffix.

Anyway, whichever. As long as /usr/bin/tclsh ends up pointing to any 
installed tclsh version, I'm not fussy.

Is the attached patch sufficient? Is anything required to ensure it 
doesn't get lost in subsequent imports?

Jifl
-- 
eCosCentric       http://www.eCosCentric.com/       <[email-masked]>
--[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]--
--[  can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln   ]-- Opinions==mine
Index: Makefile.in
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvs/src/src/tcl/unix/Makefile.in,v
retrieving revision 1.7
diff -u -5 -p -r1.7 Makefile.in
--- Makefile.in	21 Jan 2003 19:40:18 -0000	1.7
+++ Makefile.in	1 Feb 2003 16:16:56 -0000
@@ -605,10 +605,12 @@ install-binaries: binaries
 	    $(INSTALL_DATA) $(TCL_BUILD_EXP_FILE) \
 			$(LIB_INSTALL_DIR)/$(TCL_EXP_FILE); \
 	    fi
 	@echo "Installing tclsh as $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/tclsh$(VERSION)"
 	@$(INSTALL_PROGRAM) tclsh $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/tclsh$(VERSION)
+	@echo "Linking $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/tclsh to $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/tclsh$(VERSION)"
+	@ln -sf tclsh$(VERSION) $(BIN_INSTALL_DIR)/tclsh
 	@echo "Installing tclConfig.sh to $(LIB_INSTALL_DIR)/"
 	@$(INSTALL_DATA) tclConfig.sh $(LIB_INSTALL_DIR)/tclConfig.sh
 	@if test "$(STUB_LIB_FILE)" != "" ; then \
 	    echo "Installing $(STUB_LIB_FILE) to $(LIB_INSTALL_DIR)/"; \
 	    @INSTALL_STUB_LIB@ ; \

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/