Subject: Re: cygwin path problems
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:41:36 +0000 (UTC)

Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]> wrote around 27 Jan 2003 
news:[email-masked]:

> Note, too, that if you have a classpath variable in POSIX format 
> (colons and no drive letters), you'll need to use something like 
> "$(cygpath -pm "$POSIXCLASSPATH")" to convert it.
> 
> 
> Only (_only_) Cygwin-linked code will understand the "/cygdrive/..." 
> file names.

And also note that if you are trying to use (bash/posix-unixy) shell
*wildcards* [ ;-) ] to pass filenames as _arguments_ to your Java class
(program), you need to know that Java will receive them in Cygwin's
posix format and won't grok them. The results of a shell expansion like 
this:

   /cdv/D/goodies/babe*.jpg

IOW, won't be formatted like

  "/cdv/D/goodies/babe1.jpg:/cdv/D/goodies/babe2.jpg:[...]"

but instead just as plain list of space-separated filespecs. AFAIK,
`cygpath' cannot help you there (corrections will come as a surprise but
are welcome, "cygpath" gurus). Of course a little more elaborate
shell-wrapper magic might hack you a way out of that problem, robustness
and speed-performance are likely to be lacking, tho. 

So if you run into this trouble you might want to go download my Java
class "CygwinShellInterface", written to translate Cygwin's posix
filenames into Win32 ones that Java understands: 

  http://home.att.net/~perlspinr/framesets/cygwininfo_frmset.html

Or re-invent that wheel, your choice ;-)

  Soren A

-- 
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"
                       - Dr. Jumba, Disney's "Lilo & Stitch"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/