Subject: Re: Save typing /cygdrive/c?
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:19:46 +0000 (UTC)

"Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]> wrote around 27 Jan 2003
news:000701c2c643$25729550$78d96f83@pomello: 

> Rob Siklos wrote:
>> running "mount --change-cygdrive-prefix /" will make all your drives
>> be subdirectories of "/" instead of "/cygdrive".

> And then when you run some script which expects /cygdrive, it will
> break. OK, the script is what is broken, but the path of least
> resistance is to use symlinks instead.

Such a script would indeed be broken, and if I found such a one on my
system I'd delete it immediately, no matter how important it thinks
itself to be. 

I get the point about path of least resistance but won't go along with
it in this case. Cygwin has never fetish-ized (fixed as canonical,
forced) the "cygdrive" string, TTBOMK, and I hope it doesn't become so.
I myself use the much shorter string "cdv" (as in "/cdv/e/stuff") which is
mnemonic with "cYGdRIVEvOLUME".

I even wrote a Java class to query Cygwin for this information in order
to use the Sun JDK Java rt product with Cygwin's shell environment.
IMHO, correct programming (of all sorts) for Cygwin should always be
using programmatical (documented API) means of composing path strings,
not hard-coding (ASSuming) a particular path prefix to the drive
volumes. 

   Not In The Least Opionatedly Yours,
     Soren A

-- 
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"
                       - Dr. Jumba, Disney's "Lilo & Stitch"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/