Subject: Re: DOS <-> Bash interaction...
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:01:32 +0000 (UTC)

Igor Pechtchanski <[email-masked]> wrote around 28 Jan 2003 
news:[email-masked]:

> If you get something different as the first entry, your /etc/profile does
> *append* the standard paths to the contents of $PATH.  This means you've
> probably changed it at some point in the past.  Change it back.

Right. And yes, I have read the rest of the articles in the thread, but
found that one question gets left behind immediately, in the course of
running down the PATH issue: that was, the very top issue Hannu raised,
which is "what does $SHELL contain"? I am wondering what Cygwin does by
default -- I have been using highly modified bash initialization files
for a very long time now and so I cannot find out by merely going and
looking at my own.

Do any of the init files that bash reads set, query or export SHELL?
Would it be a good idea for them to do so?

It seems to me that when I set up Cygwin (my installation on Win98SE
thereof, that is), I had to set SHELL and export it, in my bash init
file, when I worked on achieving good integration with the editor GVIM
(the Win32 GUI version of the VIM editor). This memory-impression
suggests that Cygwin isn't exporting SHELL by default. Confirm or
denials, anyone? ;-)

I actually have 3 "choices" of SHELL on this Win98 box, because I've
installed a partly-functioning CMD.exe from a Win2K SDK release by M$.
So I have available a command.com, a CMD.exe, and a bash.exe. I *always*
want to be using the bash.exe in connection with any Cygwin stuff I am
doing, but in the past have wanted CMD.exe, for instance, in connection 
with other things (MinGW-ish, but that's OT here...). Almost never
do I intentionally want command.com, of course.

This is all rhetorical and general-interest for me personally, since I
already have Cygwin doing what I want it to in these areas. I am not
calling for a change of any specific sort, just asking for discussion
for the purposes of increasing general understanding.

   Soren A

-- 
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"
                       - Dr. Jumba, Disney's "Lilo & Stitch"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/