Subject: Re: Cygwin Release process
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: "William A. Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Max Bowsher <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: 28 Jan 2003 08:15:01 +1100

Bill, IMO you are missing a key point:

Cygwin is volunteer maintained. No release manager volunteer, and no
stable release maintainer (who will maintain stable packages after they
become stale) have stepped up.

The *only* way you will get a stable release is to:
1) offer to take on all the extra workload needed.
2) ask (nicely :}) for disk space at sources.redhat.com to hold (1)
possibly outdated copy of each package.
3) patch setup.exe, or talk nicely to me :} to give it the functionality
needed to support such an endeavour.

I've spoken in favour of such an arrangement before, but didn't have the
time or personal need to justify making it happen.

Oh, and if a 'stable' cygwin became the most downloaded one, I'm sure
you would get more assistance from the community - but trying to
convince us to do it is pretty pointless: we are already contributing
time and effort, and there has been plenty of opportunity for an extant
maintainer to pipe up with "I'll do it".

Cheers,
Rob
-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.