Subject: New User Problems setup, emacs compiling etc.
From: "Paul T. Karch" <[email-masked]>
To: "Cygwin General Mail List" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Paul T. Karch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:21:49 -0500

A couple of weeks ago I wrote in about a problem with setup.exe locking up.
It locked when I clicked in the "directory" window (the one right after
choosing a mirror site).  I thought this would expand the "+" listings in the window.
But I reran setup and subsequently clicked on the "view" button first and this
took me to a detailed list of the cygwin packages and I could then download and
install with no problems,  although I was clicking about 7 billion times.

However, I still have some residual problems.  I am not experienced with "system
administration" type work on Unix although I have done application development on Sparc
Stations under Sun OS and Irix on Silicon Graphics and some x windows on DEC Alphas under
OpenVMS.

I can't get emacs to work properly in the "DOS/Bash" window.  When I invoke it (by
typing emacs) it displays a menu bar at the top (which is useless) and you can kind of
work with it but you cannot exit normally with a C-x C-c.  You can C-z which puts it
in the background and then you can kill it.  Any suggestions on how to get emacs to
work normally ?

I can bring up X Windows (via /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat or /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh)
but it is extremely slow.  The bash shell takes
about 30 s to come up.  Similarly it take emacs about 30 s to come up (by typing emacs in
the bash window) and
I cannot see the "command line" and I can't seem to resize or move the window
sufficiently to view the bottom of the window.  It will display a small box with
y x 40 in it as you resize but you can't change the 40.  In general, resizing
and moving any (sub)windows is very slow.  It doesn't act the way I remember
xemacs working.  Can I do something to improve the performance or is this normal and can I
change something to make "xemacs" useable ?

I also tried building some x window test programs but the c compiler kicks me out
because the includes fail.  If you have an include #include <ifile.h>, the compiler
looks under /usr/include/ .  But the x window install seems to put the include files under
different directories.  E.g.
#include <Xm/Xm.h>  (which is/was standard) and the file would be in /usr/include/Xm
doesn't work:  the file is /usr/X11R6/include/Xm/Xm.h from the installation.  I can
certainly copy these files to the "correct" directories but perhaps the installation
should be changed or is it the way "we" used to do things  no longer valid and the
installation is correct ?

I have installed Cygwin as single user.  My computer is a PIII 500 MHz, 256 MB, W98 2nd
Ed. w/ latest patches.

Thanks for any help.

Paul T. Karch

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/