Subject: Re: sort kills cygwin
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:34:05 -0000

There are a number of commands with names common both to Windows and to
Cygwin. One example is "sort"; others are "find" and "more" and maybe "ftp"
and "telnet".

If /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/ and /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND/ precede /usr/bin/
or /bin/ on your PATH then it is the Windows version of the executable, not
the Cygwin version, that will be picked up. I tried sort --version with the
Windows executable and got exactly the "not found" message you have
described.

Solution: either alter the order of the entries on your PATH or (which I
have done, not to any identifiable disadvantage) delete all Windows
references from your path. (So this is my Cygwin path:
~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:)

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/