Subject: Re: javac on cygwin
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:26:28 -0800

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I remember speculating at one point about creating wrappers to the win32
> functions like CreateFile, MoveFile, etc.  which would understand cygwin
> paths.  You could theoretically modify an .exe to load cygwin1.dll and
> use the wrapper functions.  Or you could use some of Windows hook
> facilities to do that.

Hmm. Would that even work?

I remember trying, way back when, to provide a checking malloc library 
on Windows, and then discovering that there was *no* way of intercepting 
malloc() calls *inside LIBC itself*.  In the Windows PE world (unlike 
the ELF world), a call to a routine that lives inside the same DLL is 
automatically bound to the local copy without any way to hijack the call.

Thus there's no way to play games with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or PATH, rather) 
to load a malloc that'll hijack all calls successfully. And there's 
definitely nothing like the LD_PRELOAD mechanism to wrap existing 
pre-linked programs to inject support libraries into the lib list.

So any CreateFile calls inside the windows libraries would always go to 
the built-in CreateFile.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/