Subject: Re: xinted rsync bluescreen
From: Dan Holmsand <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:59:15 +0100

Randall,

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Dan,
> 
> It seems most likely from this that the problem is in your file system. 
> When's the last time you ran CHKDSK? I seem to recall other reports that 
> were for some reason associated with accessing Cygwin's /etc. I cannot 
> explain this other than perhaps as simple coincidence.

Chkdsk was the first thing I tried (both on the Proliant and on the 
Armadas). No difference, I'm afraid.

> I'm not familiar with exactly how much memory protection is in place in 
> Windows 98. I'm under the impression that it's more than on Windows 95, 
> though it is not really a fully protected environment as exists on 
> Windows NT, 2K and XP. That means that it's conceivable that a putative 
> bug in Cygwin could trigger a BSOD under 95 or 98 that would knock down 
> only a single process under one of the other OS versions.

I'm running Win2k.

> However, judging from the crash dump you supplied, if Cygwin is at 
> fault, it's rather indirect. When memory isn't protected, a symptom can 
> appear far separated in time from the actual software defect that caused 
> it.
> 
> Still, it is pretty unlikely that this is a Cygwin bug. If the problem 
> were in Cygwin, then probably others would have it, too.

I'm not saying it is a bug in Cygwin! It just seems quite likely to me 
that Cygwin is trigging a bug in Windows when sysvinit is running (since 
Cygwin always is involved when the bsod happens - and I haven't had any 
crashes otherwise). This is of course guesswork on my part.

> Check your disks, maybe update your drivers and try fully de-activating 
> any virus checkers or firewalls--they seem to be the worst culprits. 
> Although it seems unlikely for the symptoms you're reporting, video 
> drivers seem to be a weak spot in Windows and they seem to get updated 
> more than any other class of drivers. So much so that I check the Matrox 
> site monthly for driver updates.

I have never had any anti-virus software installed on any of the 
machines bsoding. I've updated all the machines involved (including 
drivers), even if it seems unlikely that the drivers are at fault (since 
the proliant and armada use completely different sets of drivers).

> Good luck.

Thanks!

/dan

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/