Subject: Universal NFS Server is terribly slow through cygwin
From: Harendra Kumar <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, Raghavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:31:29 +0530

Hi,

I am using the Cygwin version of the universal NFS Server. It works fine but
the only problem is that it is terribly slow. The NFS server version is
2.2.47-cygwin.

I am running the nfs server through cygwin version 2.125.2.10 on a windows
NT machine with pentium III 800 MHZ and 128 MB RAM. I am mounting the
exported filesystem on a linux machine which is connected to the windows
machine through ethernet LAN. The LAN performance is good. When I execute a
'ls -l' command on the client it takes more than two minutes. Following is
the output of the timed 'ls -l' command.

[root@raindrop mnt]# time ls -l
total 1379
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513          4096 Jan  9 17:16 bin/
-rwxr-xr-x    1 500      513        987652 Jan  9 11:57 cpu1*
drwxr-xr-x    3 500      513             0 Jan  9 17:16 dev/
-rw-r--r--    1 500      513         20480 Jan  9 11:58 dev.tar
drwxr-xr-x    7 500      513          8192 Jan  9 17:16 etc/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 500      513           123 Jan  9 17:16 firewall.cfg ->
/tmp/firewall.cfg
drwxr-xr-x    3 500      513          4096 Jan  9 17:16 flash0/
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513             0 Apr 10  2002 home/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 500      513            97 Jan  9 17:16 jffs2 -> /tmp/
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513         12288 Jan  9 17:16 lib/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 500      513           105 Jan  9 17:16 log -> /tmp/log
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513             0 Apr 10  2002 mnt/
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513             0 Apr 10  2002 opt/
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513             0 Apr 10  2002 proc/
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513             0 Jan  9 11:57 ramfs/
drwx------    2 500      513             0 Apr 10  2002 root/
drwxr-xr-x    2 500      513          4096 Jan  9 17:16 sbin/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 500      513           109 Jan  9 17:16 tmp -> /ramfs/tmp
drwxr-xr-x    6 500      513             0 Jan  9 11:57 usr/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 500      513           109 Jan  9 17:16 var -> /ramfs/var
-rw-r--r--    1 500      513       1781968 Jan  9 17:21 vmlinux

real    2m0.712s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.010s
[root@raindrop mnt]# 

When we run linux on the same machine and run the linux nfs server, it is
very fast. I understand that the unfsd being totatlly in user space will be
somewhat slow but I believe it should not  be that slow. Could you please
help us in finding what is wrong.

Thanks and regards,
Harendra

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/