Subject: Re: Repost, different list...File::Spec, cygwin, Syntactic vs. Semantic path analysis
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 02:16:38 -0500

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:30:25PM +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
>On Wed 08 Jan 2003 05:56, Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >I'm sorry.  I thought the cygwin project -- was to provide a Posix type
>> >platform to [aid, assist, help] in porting *nix/gnu utils to the Win32
>> >environment.
>> 
>> Cygwin's primary purpose is to provide a UNIX environment for Windows.
>> Although it can be used in other ways, the basic purpose is not to
>> provide a stepping stone to helping port programs to native Windows.
>> Things like Win32 path names and accommodating pure-win32 processes are
>> *always* of secondary importance wrt getting the UNIX bits right.
>
>Sorry to drop in like this,

No problem.

>but how much influence do you have in Cygwin?

I'm the head of the project.

>How much are you aware that 1.3.18-1 does fail in the current smokes where
>1.3.16 passed? Gerrit seems to be quite busy these days.

I wasn't aware of that but then I haven't been reading perl5-porters for a while
now.  I don't know what smokes is but I assume it's a periodic test run of perl
on various platforms.

Are you up for trying a cygwin snapshot?  http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

There were a few problems fixed for the next release that will be reflected in
the latest snapshot.

>What's the stance of cygwin in threading?

We're for it!  We have pretty extensive pthreads support.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/