Subject: Re: Sed Script works in 3.02-1, fails in 4.0.1-1
From: "Peter S Tillier" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dwight Neal" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:57:21 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dwight Neal" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 7:33 PM
Subject: Sed Script works in 3.02-1, fails in 4.0.1-1

> I am migrating from a machine that uses a cygwin image loaded in May
2002 to
> one that uses a November 2002 download, and have a sed script that
fails in
> the newer version:
>
> (This should be a single line of input, but I'm sure it will wrap when
> emailed):
>
> sed -f modifyhtm.txt "\Web Configuration\Default_installing.htm"
> >results\Default_installing.htm
>
> The error reported is:
>
> 'sed: file modifyhtm.txt line 1: No previous regular expression'
>
As modifyhtm.txt contains:

s//<font><\/font><\/BLOCKQUOTE>/

the reason for the error message is obvious.  The // refers to a
previously-compiled RE and there isn't one.  This is an error in
your script, not sed 4.0.1-1 and should also give the same error
message with sed 3.02-1.

As Randall says using / separators in s commands when slashes
are part of the RE is tricky.  You can use pretty much any
separator other than a backslash.

HTH
Peter S Tillier

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page
from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
http://uk.my.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/