Subject: Installing Postgresql-7.3 on Cygwin (Win2000pro)
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Discussion <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 20:07:34 -0500

In the /usr/doc/postgresql-7.3/FAQ_MSWIN I find the following caveaat:

<quote>

3.  The Cygwin bin directory has to be placed in the path before the
    Windows program directories, because the sort.exe has to be taken
    from Cygwin, not Windows.

4

</quote>

However, this is really pretty unsatisfactory.  When I run in a Cygwin 
shell, indeed, the Windoz command directories are the "last resort," 
because I expect Cygwin to supply nearly everything I need.  But, 
outside the Cygwin shell environment, putting the cygwin /bin path ahead 
of the Windoz directories also changes such things as FTP -- and that is 
NOT acceptable.  For one thing, it does very un-nice things in Xemacs.

I don't expect the postmaster, or other pgsql components, to run in any 
command shell at all but as Win services. 
I suppose I can mess with the user-environment variables of the postgres 
"user," but I don't know how good an idea that is.

Any other alternattives?  Is sort the only issue?  -- I never use MS 
sort, I could always rename it.

-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.
Life is too short to tolerate crappy software.
.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/