Subject: Re: javac on cygwin
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 14:17:58 -0800

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Javac is not particularly special. It is a Windows-native program, and 
> as such requires absolute file and directory names be provided in 
> Windows format (forward slashes are OK, but drive letters are required 
> and the Cygwin notion of root is completely unknown to such programs). 

Javac is a pure java program. The "windows executable" is only there as 
a thin native wrapper that launches sun.tools.javac.Main.

The bigger problem is that Sun JRE is compiled to the native Win32 API, 
not to cygwin, so *any* Java programs running in the Sun JRE will never 
understand cygwin mount points.

In theory, someone could invest in the effort to port, say, the Linux 
port of the Sun JRE to cygwin, but it would be a huge effort.

Igor's idea (wrappers that run cygpath -m on the paths being passed to 
Java) would be the best approach in this situation, especially for 
well-known Java programs like "javac".

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/