Subject: Re: Hard links broken?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:19:51 -0500

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 10:13:48PM -0600, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 10:32:40AM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>> Nicolas,
>> 
>> You've got something else going on. I, too, am running Cygwin 1.3.17 
>> ('cause of my other problems with 1.3.18) and hard links work fine for me.
>
>I see that 1.3.18 just came out.
>
>> I assume you are using an NTFS file system, right? FAT file systems don't 
>> support hard links.
>
>Yes, NTFS, on XP.  Er, no!  That's the problem!  I'd never bothered
>checking (it's a single user laptop, used mostly for mutt/vim [and
>Cygwin])), but the c: drive is FAT32 while the d: drive is NTFS (the
>install disks give no partitioning or filesystem options either - it's
>40%/60% FAT32/NTFS fot c:/d: - geez).
>
>So, Cygwin must have been emulating hardlinks on FAT32 and that support
>must now be gone.  Geez.

If such a change had been made it would have been advertised and you
would have seen or been able to find an announcement about it.

Cygwin has never emulated hard links on FAT*.  Or at least it hasn't
during the last five years that I've been paying attention to such
things.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to [email-masked]
and be permanently blocked from mailing lists at sources.redhat.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/