Subject: Re: rxvt, once again...
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:19:09 -0800

Dockeen wrote:
> Hmmm, my results are pretty much the opposite.  In Win2000,
> I can only resize the window in the vertical direction.  In
> Win98SE I could only resize it very slightly, if at all.  

Argh. Let's put an end to this once and for all.

In the NT-based series (WinNT4, Win2K, XP Pro), the command window has 
two sets of parameters: the *screen buffer* size (width x height), and 
the *window* size (what's actually displayed of the buffer).  The 
command window will put up an appropriate scrollbar if a buffer 
dimension is larger than the corresponding window dimension.

In these OSes, you can drag a window and resize it *up to the buffer 
size*. Now, most of us typically set the buffer width and the window 
width as the same (80 chars), so you can't resize horizontally, but we 
*can* resize vertically if the buffer is larger than the window size 
(typically 24 lines).

In Win98 and Me, you cannot drag and expand the window, or set a buffer 
size larger than the window size. Period. Don't know if they have 
deliberately crippled XP Home to match Me (I don't have XP Home to check..)

--
Shankar.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/