Subject: Re: rxvt, once again...
From: Rui Carmo <[email-masked]>
To: "Chris Game" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:10:02 +0000

No one is questioning that you can change the properties of a standard 
Win32 console window.

What you _cannot_ do, however, is simply drag the window edge and 
resize it that way, without resorting to property sheets.

But again, it is a matter of personal preference. If you enjoy using 
property sheets and having all (actually rather limited) options 
available to you within a single visual context, then stick to the 
Win32 console.

If, however, you feel like learning a few cross-platform skills (rxvt 
feels the same on Cygwin and just about any Unix platform) and need to 
have more precise control over your screen real estate (at the expense 
of learning a few command-line options), then I suggest you try out 
rxvt. Please. Without sticking to "but I can already do this and that" 
replies.

After all, we can debate this till the reindeer pass overhead, but 
nothing we can say actually replaces _using_ the darn thing and 
figuring out the differences for yourself.

As to the actual Cygwin-ness of the debate, I believe that the only 
relevant issue concerning rxvt is its inclusion (or not) in the default 
install (with a few startup files, and maybe including a couple of 
bitmapped fonts with it).

The rest (again) is down to personal choice.

Merry Xmas,

R.

On Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002, at 12:24 Europe/Lisbon, Chris Game wrote:

> In a recent post, Rui Carmo wrote:
>
>> On Monday, Dec 23, 2002, at 11:58 Europe/Lisbon, Chris Game wrote:
>>> That's interesting, but what's the advantage of rxvt over opening
>>> cygwin/bash in a Windows command window, where all the formatting
>>> options (except initial placement I grant you) are available from the
>>> prompt window properties?
>>
>> The main of rxvt advantage for someone who uses Unix terminals
>> extensively is a fully dynamic, resizable terminal window - something
>> the built-in W2K/XP prompt cannot provide. And I mean "resizable" as
>> in height _and_ width.
>
> Height and Width are adjustable from the properties of the command
> prompt window.
>
> -- 
> ===========================================
>
> Chris Game <chrisgame@!yahoo!dotcodotuk>
> ===========================================
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/