Subject: Re: rxvt, once again...
From: Rui Carmo <[email-masked]>
To: "Chris Game" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:21:54 +0000

On Monday, Dec 23, 2002, at 11:58 Europe/Lisbon, Chris Game wrote:
> That's interesting, but what's the advantage of rxvt over opening
> cygwin/bash in a Windows command window, where all the formatting
> options (except initial placement I grant you) are available from the
> prompt window properties?

The main of rxvt advantage for someone who uses Unix terminals 
extensively is a fully dynamic, resizable terminal window - something 
the built-in W2K/XP prompt cannot provide. And I mean "resizable" as in 
height _and_ width.

There are others, of course (like X-like copy-and-paste with select and 
shift-click, better scrollback buffer handling, and better terminal 
emulation).

Most Unix folk that use Cygwin will set up rxvt as their default 
console (I even have a shell script to launch a tiled set of rxvts with 
console, Apache and PHP logs), and most of the people I know use the 
fixed font set found at 
http://www.aliveonline.com/homesite/fonts/dm_1fixfont.zip (which 
duplicates a few of the X "fixed" bitmap fonts precisely).

With those, Cygwin looks and feels a lot more like Unix. It all boils 
down to personal preference, of course, but I would suggest people give 
rxvt a whirl. Bear with it - it grows on you after a while.

R.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/