Subject: Re: Running cygwin built programs in Windows XP
From: "John Seeliger" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:27:18 -0600

"Igor Pechtchanski" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, John Seeliger wrote:
>
> > How do I run a program that I built with gcc under Cygwin in Windows?
When
> > I try to run them, it says it can't find cygwin1.dll.
>
> Make sure c:\cygwin\bin is in your PATH.  Another alternative is to use
> the mingw runtime by giving gcc the -mno-cygwin option, but be aware that
> there is less posix support there (IIRC).
> Igor

Thanks.  I gave the -mno-cygwin a try and it worked.  I added c:\cygwin\bin
to my autoexec.bat.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd ..\..

C:\>type autoexec.bat
SET CLASSPATH=C:\WINDOWS\Java\Lib;C:\CONNECT!CORP;C:\SOFTWARE
PROJECTS\JAVA\LIB;

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\JDK1.1\BIN;c:\cygwin\bin;

C:\>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\John Seeliger\Application Data
CLASSPATH=;C:\CONNECT!CORP;
CLIENTNAME=Console
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=YOUR-VIU5VCDUB5
ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\John Seeliger
LOGONSERVER=\\YOUR-VIU5VCDUB5
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
FILES\BO
RLAND\CBUILDER3\BIN;C:\JDK1.1\BIN;;C:\JDK1.1\BIN;C:\JDK1.1\LIB;
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=080a
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNSE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNSE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
USERDOMAIN=YOUR-VIU5VCDUB5
USERNAME=John Seeliger
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\John Seeliger
windir=C:\WINDOWS

C:\>

It still will not recognize it and programs developed in cygwin without
the -mno-cygwin option and opened directly from windows give the error
message about cygwin1.dll .  Where does it need to go?

Relating to Randall's comments about distributing cygwin developed s/w, if I
create something that relies on cygwin1.dll, I should put it under the GPL
and release the source code with it and then include cygwin1.dll?  Is this
how it is done?

Also, is there any documentation on using the cygwin java compiler,
especially to create native code.  This is the primary reason I recently
installed the newer cygwin stuff.  The project I am currently working on,
mostly for my own person use, though if it benefited the world I would
release it, is to allow me to add a context menu item
(http://tinyurl.com/3rc7) in IE "Add to Save Queue", for example, and when
this was selected for a link, a program would be activated the would add
this link and the associated name to a queue and proceed to download and
save it to a file with the name of the link on the page.  For example,
suppose:

<a href="http://www.foobarnews.com/iceman122202.htm">Scientists Thaw out Ice
Age Caveman</a>

it would download the file from http://www.foobarnews.com/iceman122202.htm
and save it to a file "Scientists Thaw out Ice Age Caveman" without having
to ask me what filename to use.  (Unless of course there was already another
"Scientists Thaw out Ice Age Caveman" file.)

I have a lot of s/w development packages (MSVB 6.0 Learning Edition, Borland
C++ Builder 3, cygwin, JDK 1.1, J2SDK 1.4.1 (I just downloaded this one),
Borland JBuilder 7 Personal, Digital Mars D, Javascript via IE or Opera,
Squeak), all free stuff except the VB and BCB, but each seemed to lack
something to do what I have been wanting to do earlier with regard to a
spidering tool (http://tinyurl.com/3rc3).  The BCB 3 doesn't have much
(any?) support for downloading web pages (and I am not looking to spend
several hundred dollars necessary to buy the new version to be able to
download pages easier from IE), the Java won't let me save files, unless I
use java.exe to run them (which I am not sure I can legally distribute, if I
made a project worth of doing so) or compile in native mode (which the
JDK1.1 doesn't do and I don't think the J2SDK does either).  The Javascript
won't let me save files either.  I have no idea what Squeak will do (I don't
know Smalltalk) or what libraries are distributed with D (I have not written
anything in either of these) and the BJB will produce native code, but if I
choose to distribute it, I can't under the free license.

That leaves me with cygwin and VB.  At the time I wanted to build the
webtool earlier this year, I couldn't get the documentation on VB working
and I purchased it at a Computer City (that had just become CompUSA because
of the merger) in Sept. 98 and I never got it to register with MS then or
even now, though I have found the documentation on msdn's website and a
couple of free books http://www.mvps.org/vb/hardcore/index.html and
http://tinyurl.com/3rcv (=VB 5), so if necessary, I could give that another
try, but I would still like to be able to do the native Java in Cygwin, if
possible.

--
John Seeliger                      Limited but increasing content
[email-masked]           <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/